Looking for ways to keep your sterling silver jewellery like new? Here are 7 tips for caring for your silver jewellery.
First, what is sterling silver? Sterling silver is a type of precious metal that is used in jewellery, decorative objects, and flatware (utensils used for eating). It is an alloy, which means that it is made up of a mixture of metals. Specifically, sterling silver is an alloy of 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper.
The use of sterling silver dates back to ancient civilizations, and it has been used for a wide variety of purposes over the years. In addition to being used in jewellery and decorative objects, sterling silver has also been used in coins, musical instruments, and religious objects.
Use these seven tips when caring for your sterling silver jewellery:
- Store your sterling silver jewellery in a cool, dry place. Humidity and extreme temperatures can cause silver to tarnish more quickly. It is best to store your silver jewellery in a jewellery box or a zippered bag to prevent it from coming into contact with the air.
- Avoid exposing your sterling silver jewellery to household chemicals. Chlorine, bleach, and other harsh chemicals can cause silver to tarnish or discolour. Be sure to remove your silver jewellery before cleaning or handling chemicals.
- Clean your sterling silver jewellery regularly. The best way to clean your silver jewellery is to use a soft, lint-free cloth and a gentle silver cleaner. Be sure to follow the instructions on the cleaner carefully and avoid using harsh abrasives.
- Handle your sterling silver jewellery with care. Silver is a soft metal, so it is important to handle it gently. Avoid pulling or yanking on your silver jewellery, as this can cause it to become misshapen or break.
- Protect your sterling silver jewellery from scratches. When storing your silver jewellery, be sure to place it in a soft pouch or wrap it in a soft cloth to prevent it from coming into contact with other jewellery or hard surfaces that could scratch it.
- Repair any damage to your sterling silver jewellery promptly. If your silver jewellery becomes damaged, it is important to have it repaired as soon as possible. Delaying repairs can lead to further damage and make the repair more costly.
- Take your sterling silver jewellery to a professional for cleaning and repairs. While it is possible to clean and repair silver jewellery at home, it is usually best to leave these tasks to a professional jeweller. A professional will have the knowledge and tools to properly care for your silver jewellery and ensure that it is well-maintained.